Monday, May 7, 2012

My First 5k

I participated in my first 5k this weekend! BUT......... I didn't run it... I walked it. In the last month I've only been running once a week (if that) and I just didn't feel prepared. My dad was also going to the 5k and was planning on walking so at the last minute I just decided to go with the flow... figure this new adventure out and walk it. Thankfully my good friend Alice was there to help me along with learning about attaching my bib and timing chip. I didn't have a clue of what all that was and why it was needed.

The 5k was the Fiesta 5k and it was for the Robert Packard Center for ALS Research. My team was Frank's Fast Friends. Our team captain was interviewed right before the race. You can listen to the audio here. Poe (the Ravens mascot) was out and about as well as Captain Defense.

My dad and I had a great walk and caught up chatting about everything. The weather was beautiful (slightly hot because our team shirts were black ---- but super cute). I finished in 1063 place and in 55:15 minutes. Not bad I suppose :)

After we finished the race we headed back to meet up with our team, enjoyed some water and oranges and then headed home to enjoy some of the last days with my mom and Bill while the visited (blog on that to come soon).

What going to this race did for me was light the fire under me to get back to running. I needed inspiration to dedicate myself to exercise again and this did it for me. Driving home I was a little disappointed that I didn't run the course. I totally could have but my nerves and lack of preparation held me back. Looking back at the course I totally could have ran at least half, walked a bit and then finished it.

Soooooooooooooo now I'm back in the groove and ready to get started again. The Baltimore Women's Classic 5k is on June 24th and I want to run it and complete it feeling great! Wish me luck!
Alice and I ready for the race!!
Pops and I ready for the race!
Most of our team with Poe and Captain Defense
Let the games begin!
Pops ready to roll!
Annnnnnnnnnd we're done. :)
O.J. Brigance, former Ravens player diagnosed with ALS

No comments:

Post a Comment