Monday, February 4, 2013

Humbled.

Last week was an extremely humbling experience for me. Sitting here now coming down from the Raven's Super Bowl win high I'm melting back into the experiences I had last week and wondering why Universe put them out there for me. I usually don't question things that Universe hands to me but its left me wondering what is around the corner this year.

A year after Connor was born I decided to put my Reiki practice on hold and focus on my new family. If I got a call for a Reiki session I did home visits as its hard to keep a relaxing environment in a home with a toddler. Slowly but surely those clients fell away and I was comfortable with that. For the last two years I've basically used Reiki in my day to day life on my own personal journey and with my family.

Imagine my surprise when I received a call from a family last Monday asking me to come to their house to do Reiki on their father who was in the process of passing over. They wanted me there every day until he passed. I dropped everything I could (except mine and Connor's Tuesday night library night) to help this man and his family. In the end, I only worked on him two times as he passed sometime after my second session with him.

When I was working on him, I was working on providing him strength, comfort, and helping release the ties to this world that were keeping him here suffering. At one point, I expanded my bubble of comfort and strength as the family said their heartfelt good byes to him. I did my best to become a vessel of calm and peace in a time that was full of sadness and out of control.

I learned about the other side of life that is waiting for us last week. I've experienced bringing life into this world. As a mom, I've been learning about growing and learning from infant to toddler. I'm learning how life grows and independence is gained.

Last week was the first time I had ever been at someone's deathbed. I've always got the call that someone is dieing or that a person has died. I've been to many viewings and funerals... but I've never witnessed death in action.

It truly humbled me. I was able to connect with the energy that was letting go and ready to move on. I was seeing the physical body become dependent and weak. It was sad yet taught me respect for the dieing process. I learned that death isn't something that should be feared, its something that needs respect and strength. I learned the importance of letting go and saying good bye. Not everyone gets to say their good byes and I've realized how truly heart breaking that can be. I learned death is just as precious as birth. I learned that in any process of dieing, death is leaving the heavy physical body behind.

My heart was heavy and as I tried to disconnect from the energy after each session, it was the hardest I've ever had. Lifting myself up and celebrating a bit yesterday helped pull me out of the whirl wind of emotion and energy that I was feeling.

After all is said and done, have you experienced death in your life? What has it taught you?

9 comments:

  1. Intriguing post. I really don't understand this art but I've always found it beautiful. What led you to Reiki?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As a child my mother brought meditation and energy work into the house. Eventually she found Reiki and began teaching it. I was lucky enough to grow up in a house full of Reiki. :)

      Delete
  2. How wonderful for you to be "a vessel of calm and peace" at a deathbed. Also fearless as it couldn't have been easy for you to help a dying person on his way. While you say this was a humbling experience, I feel like it elevated you to a higher plane of understanding.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did move through different emotions throughout the week.... humbled, in awe and elevated were most of it. Thanks!

      Delete
  3. I also was able to use reiki recently to help someone who was ready to pass over. The family was so grateful for the assistance. Reiki is a wonderful gift to offer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that expression - "a vessel of calm and peace." You can hang out with me any time. In fact, please come.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a gift you gave him and his family!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What an experience! I am glad that you were able to help this man and this family.
    My grandmother died a year ago and I felt that a death is a time to come together as a family. And it was also quite an emotional roller coaster.

    ReplyDelete